Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Weekend Whirlwind

It started on Thursday (well, really the stress of the weekend started way before Thursday, but I am getting ahead of myself). I rushed home from violin with the girls to finish up some last minute cleaning before my parents rolled into town which was about 11:30 p.m. Friday, I took the girls to school, went to a meeting at the Crowne Plaza regarding the Spring Fling, then headed home to get my parents for more errands. Before we left, I put together a broccoli salad and banana pudding for later that night. About 10:00, we finally made it out the door. Bethany was celebrating her First Communion on Saturday and neither Nana nor myself had a present for her. We suck and we know it. We went to a local gift shop where Nana found a lovely charm bracelet and a heart/cross charm. It was just lovely. Then we headed to the Family Christian Bookstore where they sometimes have 1st Communion items, but I found nothing but a card. Wal-Mart was a hit for me. I found her a child's St. Christopher necklace. Who is St. Christopher you ask? Well, let me look it up for you and I will let you know....... (gone for a few minutes). He holds patronage of things related to travel and travelers. On her medal, it says "St. Christopher protect me (or us)" or something like that.

That night, we had a covered dinner and rehearsal for the 1st Communion service to be held on Saturday. Unfortunately, some Catholics do not understand the meaning of "covered dish". So some people stopped by the local grocery store and brought a small container of potato salad or something similar. I, on the other hand, took the broccoli salad and banana pudding. Each fit in a large aluminum roasting pan. I felt I had contributed enough to feed the amount of people I brought. What a disappointment to see such little food to feed a multitude. Yes, I know, Jesus fed the multitude with even less. Therefore, we did not go away stuffed to the gills which was a good thing.

Myron left the rehearsal with my parents and Sarah. They had to get home before the in-laws showed up. Bethany and I arrived home some time around 8 p.m. We visited for a little while before putting the girls to bed. Nana and I prepared food for the next day: potato salad, deviled eggs, fruit salad and kabobs with dip, and it seems like there was something else but my brain is fried. Anyway, we were up a few more hours trying to get it all done.

Saturday, we were up at 6 a.m. I fixed a little breakfast: coffee cake and fruit ... nothing fancy at all. Just enough to get us through until lunch. We left around 9 a.m. to be at the church at 9:30. There were lots of pictures being taken. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my off the camera yet. I will try to do that soon. Bethany looked just beautiful in her dress. She looked so grown up. The ceremony was just wonderful. And yes I cried. My little girl is growing up.

We left there and headed over to our friends' house, Jeff and Karen. We had a lunch with their family. There was plenty of food and fellowship. It was a very enjoyable day. But the only thing on my mind at that time was.... A Nap!!! And that is just what I did. When we got home, the girls went to their bed, Pop and Nana went to their bed, and Myron and I went to our bed ... well, our recliners. We let Grandpa and Grandma have our bed so we slept downstairs in the comfy recliners. I was out instantly. I didn't even try to stay awake because I didn't want to. We had leftovers for dinner and then had a family movie night: Bedtime Stories.

Sunday, we took our time getting up. The girls had to be in Waynesville for a violin recital at 2:30. We left here around 1 because I had to pick up a fruit tray. I was so tired of cooking and being in the kitchen that I took the easy route and bought a pre-packaged dish. The girls did such a lovely job on their solos. I wish everyone could hear them. But I forgot to charge my battery that I knew was going dead on Saturday. I could have just kicked myself if I could have gotten my foot that far back. UGH!!!! Sarah's first solo and I couldn't even film it.

We went out for dinner afterwards at the Moose Cafe. It has been chosen as one of the top 10 places to eat in the Southeast. Yummy, yummy food.

Back home and it was time to get ready for the next day. Oh yeah, Monday ... Asheville Catholics 7th Annual Spring Fling. This is the biggest fundraiser of the year. Two years ago, they raised $100,000 for the school. Last year it was around $75,000. This is not a small deal. If you remember at the beginning, I made a reference about STRESS. Well, that is what most of the stress was pertaining to. Not only did some of us have to deal with last minute details with Spring Fling but we were also cleaning and cooking for 1st Communion. Too much for one weekend.

Overall, I feel the event was a success for our school. We may have not raised $100,000 or even $75,000 this year but whatever it turns out to be, will be more than we had before the event.

I am off to bed. I woke up tired this morning and am ready to lie down in my bed and cozy up under the covers. I actually meant to be there before now but got to typing and couldn't stop. I seriously will try very hard to get some pictures uploaded this week.

Have a good night. Oh yeah, thankful thought: good friends who accept you for who you are. I have wonderful friends here in Asheville. They accept me the way I am even when I talk too much and say too much which I am very bad about doing.

No comments: