Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm Almost Afraid to Ask

Last Friday, as I sat here posting a blog, I noticed a strange sound. At first, I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I walked all around the house and stuck my head out the door. I knew it wasn't coming from outside. It was a loud "sanding" sound. It reminded me of when we were having the floors refinished. I finally realized it was the furnace and that cold air was being blown out instead of hot. I immediately turned it off and e-mailed the Hubby.

Later that afternoon, it was getting cold in the house so I turned the heat back on. Not really sure what I thought was going to happen. I guess I thought hot air would start blowing out of the vents ... NOT!!! And the noise ... oh my! It was so loud. So I turned it off again.

Hubby came home and the same thing happened. So we slept that night with no heat. Luckily it wasn't a very cold night.

The next day, Myron called a repairman to come out. Guess what? NO noise!!! Not one sound!!!! NOTHING!!!! How frustrating. Anyway, the repairman went under the house and found a wire loose. He fixed it and said if the noise comes back to give him a call.

Later that night ... much later ... like 3 a.m. later ... I was awoken to a burning smell. The next time the furnace kicked on, there was a squeaking noise that would NOT stop. Woke the WHOLE house up. Myron finally had to turn it off. We knew we didn't want to call the repairman back out ... did you know they charge more on the weekends? Yeah, I did too.

Anyway, we kept the unit off most of the day on Sunday. Myron turned it on later in the afternoon when the girls were getting ready for bed. Guess what? NO noise!!! That was kind of weird.

Later that night ... much later ... like 3 a.m. later ... the noise started back again. The unit had been on since about 6 p.m. on Sunday night ... so about 9 hours with no squealing noises. But at 3 a.m. it started again.

Myron asked me to call the repairman back out on Monday morning. I put it off a little bit because it wasn't doing it. Then all of a sudden, I heard it. So I called the repairman. We discussed the sound and when I would notice it. He asked me to turn the unit on while he was on the phone. Guess what? NO noise!!! NOTHING!!! He said he would be out after lunch. He came in, turned the unit on. Guess what? NO noise!!! NOTHING!!! He kept reassuring me that he believed me about the noise, but I'm not so sure he did.

The only thing he could guess was the problem was the blower motor. So he cleaned the blower and replaced the motor. I sure hope that it works. So far; so good. I haven't noticed anything since he left.

I guess we will have to wait until 3 a.m. to know if the fix really worked ... ;).

No comments: