Monday, March 14, 2011

Health Update

I joined the Y back in October. I have gone 3 to 5 days a week since then. Some weeks have been better than others, but for the most part, I make it a point to stop at the Y after dropping the girls off at school.

I started the Wellness Works program at the Y. I went in for a fitness test with Tasha, whom I adore. She has been such a great encouragement for me. She set me up with goals and a plan. After 16 weeks, I went in for a re-evaluation to see how I was doing with my goals ... yeah, not so good. I lost 5 pounds, whoop-ti-do, and had decreased my body fat by tenths of points. I did increase some of my strength which was a plus. But for the most part, I was not very happy with the results. Of course, I knew kind of what it was going to be since I had been getting on the scale at home and my clothes were not fitting any differently. BUT, I push on. Keeping up with my routine and trying very hard to not get discouraged. It helps tremendously to have a friend who pushes me also. Her name is Michelle. A single mother of six kids. If she can get to the gym, so can I.

Then I went to the doctor. Yeah, what was I thinking? They did all the routine checks. Everything checked out except ...... my cholesterol. YIKES!!!! My bad cholesterol has been very, very bad. I guess I need to have a little chat with them to get that number in check and decrease the amount I have. I had to go back in for a follow-up appointment to discuss this very, very bad number with the doctor. Of course, I am double-whammied. Both my parents suffer from high cholesterol ... Thanks Mom & Dad ;). Being a Dr., the first thing she wanted to do was prescribe medications which I immediately refused. I know I can lower the number without it. I have a few things against me right now: overweight and diet. I know if I get the lifestyle diet in control, keep exercising and drink a glass of wine a night, I can get the numbers down. I have no problem drinking the wine every night. In fact, I think I will go get that glass right now while I type this out. Be right back......

I'm back with a glass of The Wolftrap. Yummy. Maybe it will help me sleep tonight since my sleep was disturbed last night with the time change ... UGH!!!

I got sidetracked. Where was I? Oh yes, doctor's orders are to get a handle on my eating and exercise 7 days a week. She said shoot for 7 but 4 would be good. She has also referred me to a nutritionist. Maybe they can give me some ideas of where I am going wrong. Of course, if I REALLY look at EVERYthing I am eating, I would see it for myself. I just don't want to look.

I go back in 6 months. I do hope I can do this. It will be hard during the Summer to get to the Y with the girls in tow. But I HAVE to find a way. I have no other choice.

No comments: