Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Whirlwind of Happenings

I know, it has been a while since my last post. I just haven't had the time to sit and type out everything. Here is a recap of the last week and more.

Last Wednesday, Bethany started her First Reconciliation classes. So we have very late nights on Wednesday for six weeks. The girls get out of school at 3 p.m., Bethany has choir at 5 p.m., and her class starts at 6:30. So while Bethany is in choir, I get dinner from somewhere. When Bethany gets out of choir, we eat dinner before her class. Tonight, Sarah and I started a puzzle. I bought one of those Stow-n-Go puzzle mats. As far as I can tell right now, the pieces are still rolled up.

On top of that, my car is in the shop. A little over a month ago, the car had some electrical problems where a brake light went out, the cruise control quit working and an ESC OFF light came on. It was kind of freaky. At the same time, it started vibrating as I accelerated up hill. I went in the first week to have the car evaluated. And of course, they had to order the part. I think that was on a Tuesday. I was told that if the part was ordered by lunch time on Tuesday, it would be delivered on a truck that same week. On Friday, I finally called and found out the part was in so I scheduled an appointment for the following week. When I get in to KIA, I find out that there were TWO parts that needed to be replaced not just one. I didn't know this before. So one part was there but the other was not. This means I have to go back the next week. At this point, I am working on week number "3" and during a gas shortage. It is not like KIA is in my backyard. It is not in my general driving direction. I have to make a special trip out. Oh, and I have to wait for the car each time also. When I go in for the 3rd visit, I remind the guy of the vibration in the car (which I had mentioned the first time I was there). They take it out for a test drive and do feel the vibration (duh?... like I was kidding). But guess what? They have to order the part. So, I head back out there for week number 4 to get the CV joint or something like that replaced. Only it doesn't cure the vibration. So they have to order another part ... a transfer case. I am now on week number 5. The part this time is going to take all day to replace. Well, I don't know about you, but I can't be without a vehicle for more than 6 hours. I have kids to pick up from school at 3 p.m. and don't just live around the corner from the school. It is not like I can walk home. Oh, and they don't loan cars out. They just expect you to figure it out on your own. Now let's take a look at my situation: both our families live in AL and can't help us. Myron works in Flat Rock (south of Asheville); we live in Mars Hill (north of Asheville) and the girls go to school in Asheville. So it is not like their little courier service can drive me all over the place. Myron can't drive me back and forth ... that is just ludicrous. So I tell them, I can't be without a vehicle all day especially not knowing exactly how long it is going to take. Well, they hear and understand and give me a rental for the day. On Monday, I dropped the car off and picked up the rental. Tuesday at 2:30, I call to find out the status of the car. The transfer case was replaced but again it didn't fix the problem. They had to call some kind of KIA expert in to take a look. I was informed to keep the rental for another night. Now, just imagine what my life would be like right now if I hadn't gotten the rental ... complete chaos, I tell you. Well, this morning I wake up stressing over my day. I am thinking about my evening especially. Once the girls are out of school, I have to get their homework done before choir and First Reconciliation. There would be no time to return the rental after 3 p.m. I give them a little call this morning just to let them know that if I was not able to pick up my car before 2:30 that it just wouldn't happen today. I have too many after-school activities to add that to the mix. At 2:30, I get a phone call from KIA saying that the "expert" is in Raleigh and would be there all week. There was no way he could get to Asheville. He has given them some things to try.

One more night, I am in the rental. Which I have to tell you is not so bad except it is a gas guzzler. It is a Chevy Malibu. Myron came home the first night asking when he could take it for a test drive. Then Tuesday morning, he got up saying he was going to take the Malibu to work and I could have the truck. Which, as it turned out we could have done but I thought I was returning it that day so I didn't let him. The girls like the white car better because it is shiny ... like my KIA isn't.

The girls are out of school on Friday along with a few other schools. We are off to see the opening of High School Musical 3. I am very excited about it. I think I am more excited than the girls although they do like 1 and 2. We are going to meet friends at the mall to eat lunch then head over to the movies. I have a feeling it might be a little crowded. We were hoping we were the only ones going to be out but no such luck.

The girls have been going back and forth about what they want to be for Halloween. They have finally nailed it down. Bethany wanted to be a vampire princess but I don't think I bought her the right costume ... it will just have to do. Sarah wants to be a ghost. So I am going to turn an angel costume into a ghost costume somehow. I haven't quite figured it out but I hope to this week.

I think this has gone on long enough. I will try to be better.
Good Night!

No comments: