Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Thoughts

Saturday morning, I got up around 4:30 a.m. with a tickle in my throat and headed to the couch. Sometimes I think I sleep on the couch more than the bed. Anyway, I heard Myron come into the living room some time later.
He asked "did you hear anything last night?"
My reply was "no, did you?"
He replied "no but something happened. Our mailbox is all busted up and there is grass in our driveway."
Well, that got me up off the couch. So we spoke a little more about the situation. I said the roads are icy and someone probably hit a patch and slid into our mailbox. Myron said no the roads weren't icy because they weren't when he came home from work the night before. I didn't argue. I just shut my mouth and let him believe what he wanted to. Some times it is just not worth arguing your point.

Myron proceeds to change his clothes and head down to at least get the mailbox out of the road before someone else hits it. Plus, to check to see if the trash had run. It could have been the trash truck that took out the mailbox. Although, I highly doubted it.

I'm watching from the bedroom window as he heads out on foot down the driveway. Now, you may not know this... but our driveway is rather steep and is all down hill from the house.

Sidetracked: Why is it my oldest child thinks I enjoy cleaning up puke? It never fails. She comes to me and says "I don't feel good". Well, go to the bathroom then... don't come tell me. Then a few minutes later I hear her gagging. Only she doesn't get up and run to the bathroom, she stays and throws up in her bed. I mean... she knew it was coming. I know she did. I have thrown up a time or two in my lifetime. But instead of getting to the toilet, she throws up on her down comforter that is not supposed to be washed or is at least supposed to be dry cleaned. Now do you think I am really going to take a puked on comforter to the dry cleaner? I don't think so.

Back to the original story....
I am watching him from the bedroom window for some reason. He starts out slowly testing the driveway to make sure he can walk on it. It gets about 1/4 of the way down and is out of my sight (because of the window frame). All of a sudden I hear a scraping noise. I look and he is sliding down the driveway. Oh yeah, the roads iced over during the night just like I thought and said. He slid another 1/4 of the way before he was able to get to the side of the driveway and get up. He kept rubbing his backside all the way down the rest of the driveway.

When he got to the bottom safely, he found the trash had not been emptied which meant the trash truck didn't take out the mailbox. But he did find car parts. Very interesting. Now the question comes up: will the people who did hit the mailbox admit they hit it? They could have left a note. At least, I felt like they could have.

We head out for the day. The girls had money in their pockets to spend and we were ready to spend it. They got new Build-a-Bears and accessories (Thank you, Uncle Mark). Then we headed to Wal-Mart where they got a few things (Thank you, Uncle Jason). Our last stop was Home Depot to buy a new mailbox post.

When we return home, we wondered if the mailman would leave mail in our box that was lying/laying on the ground. Ha Ha Ha. They didn't. But all the car parts were gone, which was very interesting. Myron checked the front door. And sure enough, there was a note. The gentleman who took out the mailbox was on his way to work. He hit a patch of ice and slid right into our mailbox. Poor thing. He said his car was beat up pretty bad. We kind of figured as much from all the little plastic pieces in our yard. He was kind of enough to not wake us at 6:30 a.m. on a Saturday. Myron informed him that we had already purchased a new post. I don't know if he will pay us back or not. I'm not really concerned about that. He is going to have enough expense of his own with the damage on his car. My belief in Mankind was restored. I stewed all day about the fact he didn't leave a note in the first place. He could have had his wife come over and tell us what happened instead of waiting. Surely, he knew we would be wondering when we saw it. But whatever, he admitted and that was the right thing to do.

This is not the first time this has happened. It's kind of a funny story. Friends of ours lived in our neighborhood before we moved here. The husband took out the previous owner's mailbox from the same thing. He hit a patch of ice and went right through the stop sign and into the mailbox.

Today I am thankful for honest people. The Mailbox Smasher had the decency to admit he hit the mailbox and to say he would replace it. Although, that is really not a concern for us. The biggest thing it cost us was Myron's time. He had other plans for this afternoon but had to replace the mailbox post instead. Luckily for him, it was a very nice Spring day. So it was actually a very nice day to be replacing the post.

I think I have gone on long enough. Good night for now.

1 comment:

Tonya Roberts said...

I like the new look of the blog! Very lovely! Why is it that men always discount what we say? Despite the fact that we nearly always turn out to be right?!