Monday, August 3, 2009

Trying to Keep Up!

We are back from a very needed vacation. Although, it was go, go, go, we still found time to have fun. We vacationed in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area with Myron's family ... well three of them anyway. We rented a cabin very close to Dollywood and Splash Country.

We went up on Sunday and had the place to ourselves for the night. That night we feasted at one of our favorite restaurants ... Bennett's Bar-B-Que ... yummy!!! Then we walked the strip a little until we had to head back for a grocery run. Do you know how hard it is to find a grocery store in that area? VERY!!!

On Monday, we headed to Splash Country for the day. We arrived shortly after they opened at 10 a.m. and stayed until they closed at 6 p.m. The girls had a blast. I bought a waterproof camera but have not gotten the film developed yet. As soon as I do, I will get the pictures posted. The funny thing is we ran into a young lady that went to the Asheville Catholic with the girls. She just graduated from 8th grade this year and is headed to High School. She is such a sweet girl and we wish her all the best. That night we ate more bar-b-que at Corky's ... not as good as Bennett's.

The in-laws arrived Monday evening.

On Tuesday, we went to see Cirque de Chine. It was a great show. The girls didn't enjoy it too much for some reason. It was raining when we came out of the show so we just decided to head back to the cabin for a night of dinner, movies and games. Dinner consisted of sub sandwiches and pies. The cabin had a theater room that seated on three people but slept twelve ... ummm? Wonder who planned that one. So, Grandma, Grandpa and Bethany headed downstairs for movie time while Kathy, Myron, Sarah and I played games.

On Wednesday, we went to the Dinosaur Walk and Magic Beyond Belief. The Magic Show is what the girls wanted to see. It was spectacular. It always makes me want to know how they do it. But even the magician, Terry, said, "Once you know, the magic will no longer exist." At least that is what happened to him. I have a few shots that we were allowed to take during one of the illusions. It was very dark so I hope you can make it out. I will post all the pictures at one time I think. I need to do some editing to them.

After the show, we headed to Gatlinburg. We walked up the strip and ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp House. It was okay ... nothing to write home about. Then we rode the Sky Lift. Bethany lost a flip flop on the way up. Luckily the gift shop sold them. Then we headed back to the cabin for more games and margaritas.

My battery went dead on my camera on Wednesday night and I forgot to charge it that night ... HUGE Bummer. The one day I really needed it was Thursday. No way was I taking it into a water park on Monday. We ate breakfast at the Old Mill Restaurant and then headed for the "Nature" part of our week to Cades Cove. It was absolutely beautiful. The one drawback was it rained on and off all day. We got stuck in the rain one time trying to hike to the Metcalf Bottoms. Unfortunately we never made it to the Bottoms; we turned around and headed back to the car. I had to rely on Kathy for pictures that day. I am hoping she got some good ones and I am hoping she sends them to me. There was a bear sighting as we were headed out and a huge traffic jam. Traffic jams really stink on a one way road with no "outs". When we finally made it out, we headed straight to Bennett's for some more yummy bar-b-que. Then back to the cabin for more games.

At the cabin there was also a pool table. The girls really enjoyed learning to play. Finally on Thursday night, Kathy and I challenged Myron to a few games ... Us against Him. He beat us like four times, I think. I laughed so hard that night. It was great. Even though he beat us every time, I could see we were improving with each game.

Friday, we headed out. We were going to try to take the girls to The Track but again it was raining. So instead, we went to the Scrapbook Superstore. I bought lots of discounted papers and stickers. Then we headed home to the House to cut grass, wash clothes, and clean up a little. I know there needs to be a change where the house is concerned but I don't know what it should be or how to convince Myron. Please continue to pray that our house will sell.

As soon as I can find some decent pictures to post, I will get them on here. For now you will just have to live the vacation through my words.

No comments: