Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Another Gas Report

So Myron got home around 9 p.m. last night. He waited almost 2 hours for gas. Of course, he was one of the last. They were yelling to shut the lines down when he pulled up.

I still had half a tank this morning so I wasn't worried about getting back and forth to Asheville. But I knew I was going to be searching for it tomorrow. I felt somewhat hopeful as I drove in this morning. I saw a tanker getting off the interstate at the New Stock Exit and a line of cars behind it. Then when I got off at the next exit, there were cars backed up at the Hot Spot which had gas yesterday but ran out. They must have gotten another truck last night. Then I drove down a ways and there were cars backed up at the Citgo. I had talked to a friend who was at the BP next to the school waiting. So three out of the five gas stations on this little strip had gas ... promising, right? NOT!!! All the stations were out by the time I came through to go home this afternoon.

I had to stop in Weaverville to drop off movies we had rented and I saw the Ingles across the street was pumping. Hope once again. There was only one way in and one way out. So I got in the "in" line and waited. But I didn't have to wait long at all. I probably waited 15 minutes if that. There were store managers, police officers, and firemen (I think) out directing traffic. There were two lines. When I pulled up to the first Manager, he saw I had children in the back. So he put me in the shortest line. How considerate of him to even notice. I was absolutely amazed at how well the whole process went. I can not sing their praises enough.

I have to say that I feel so much better with a full tank of gas in my car. Some people have been complaining because people with half a tank of gas are "topping off". Well, I have to say ... I am one of those people. If people didn't wait until the last drop of gas was in their tank to fill up, they wouldn't be in such a tissy about the "Toppers". They too could be a "Topper". And the other thing is: I put less than 8 gallons of gas in my car, which left a lot more for others. I'm not waiting until desperation sets in to get gas.

Tomorrow is a new day. This eventually has to work itself out.

No comments: